Holy Humor Day
I read about an ancient monastery tradition that scheduled a holy day of laughter and joy for the Sunday after Easter. I suppose when a place has some very strict rules about prayer times, keeping vigils, and vows of silence, it probably helped to have an official day for holy joy, with permission from on high to laugh loudly! I myself find a great deal in life humorous, and have no trouble with laughing, so I’m not one who feels the need to schedule it into our liturgical observances. But all the same, I thought I’d use this pondering to share a little (ok ok, very little!!) humor with you in this week after Easter. After all, God played the biggest joke of all on death by taking away it’s sting. So in honor of Holy Humor Day – enjoy these true-to-life newspaper headlines or actual posted signs.
- Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge
- Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
- New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
- Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
- Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
- Miners Refuse to Work after Death
- War Dims Hope for Peace
- Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
- Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
- Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
- Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
- (In an office) Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.
- (on a repair shop door) We can repair anything. Please knock – bell doesn’t work.
- (at a conference) For anyone who has children and doesn’t know it, there is a day care on the first floor.
- (at a second hand shop) We exchange anything – bicycles, washing machines, etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain?
- (notice in a farmer’s field) The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull charges.
- (at a safari park) Elephants, please stay in your car.
Let’s see each other in church as we keep celebrating the joy of Easter! ~ Pastor Josh